The Conference is being initiated and organized by Green4Cities, the international competence center for urban green infrastructure, and BOKU, the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Vienna. We have been occupied by the question how green infrastructure could make our cities future- and climate proof and more livable for some years now.
Over the past years, technical and political preconditions have changed. However, implementation has to happen at a much faster pace than it is now. We have to be bolder and more radical – and we have to see this in the cooperation of all the relevant actors and citizens. This is the reason for the initiation of this innovative conference.
The conferences focus and its core is the elaboration and initiation of real projects, from project design to financing. Keynote lectures will give the participants a thematic overview at the beginning of the conference. The congress aims to present real life problems in the form of project initiatives. These then will be processed by participants coming from diverse sectors and from all over Europe.
This way we want to enable even crazy, radical and completely new ideas to culminate in viable project designs. In a final workshop in front of the whole conference plenum, the projects will be pitched and based on this will receive feedback. At the adjacent farewell coffee event, further feedback can be given.
Jury & Criteria:
The projects will first of all be assesed by a jury. This assesment will be based on five criteria, that will rate the projects on a scale of one to ten each.
- Feasibility: We think that, although a lot of knowledge about urban green infrastructure, even in particularly difficult technical situations, exists, feasibility still is a weak point. At the same time however, there are enormous time constraints and the need for the greening of urban landscapes. Each project initiative therefore will be rate according to its practical and timely feasibility in the next three years.
- Effectiveness: The jury will look at the climatological effectiveness with respect to urban climate change adaptation measures.
- Scalability: Certain projects can lead to fast realization, when they are technical, socio-economical and legally scalable. They could either themselves be designed for scaled distribution or they could be designed in a way so other actors can realize them with a similar design.
- Innovative character: The innovative character in this case refers to the conclusive feasibility of the project that goes further than the state of art. However, any innovation in the field of urban green infrastructure will be considered (products, services, methods, organizational innovation, etc.).
- Financial feasibility: The goal of every project initiative will be a successful project design. Either a financing option is already included in the submission and later assessed by the jury or the jury’s finance experts will assess the financial feasibility simply based on the content of the submission. The project initiatives should be realizable rather soon after the end of the conference.
The jury itself consists of eight individuals, two of each of the following areas: Entrepreneurship, Science, Municipality, Finance. Their names will be announced here in the following weeks.