→The Project: Green Neighbourhood Garage
Initiative for a greener city via neighbourhood activities (Vienna)
This project is based on the theory that comprehensive greening of a city is only possible in combination with a strong civic engagement. In order to foster this, neighborhood initiatives have to be disconnected from the honorary office and their potential must be fostered. Furthermore, a form of interorganisational cooperation between the municipalities and their strategic climate goals and the initiatives has to happen – which we will be initiating.
How can we best start such a project, using which approaches and models? What organizational form do we need in order to best conciliate the different action levels? How can we best use this to support the strategic goals of the city to adapt to climate change?
In practice, this project finds its start in the greening of a vacant garage building in Ottakring in Vienna. The project site allows for a simple realization of greening forms on the outside area (such as non-floor-bound green facades) as well as the interior space (indoor-raised-bed-gardening). The Green Neighborhood Garage not only addresses neighborhood initiatives, but also everyone living in Vienna. As a project with a strong social aspect, it has the potential to bring together different people and to encourage community.
Furthermore, actors such as political stakeholders, administrations and industry are profiting from the initiative. Here, adaption measures to climate change in the urban area can be developed, insights on citizen engagement connected to comprehensive greening measures can be won, an intermediary organization between the city of Vienna and the neighborhood initiatives can be outlined and business models with aspects of sustainability and social entrepreneurship can be developed. It is our goal to create a model for the city of Vienna that subsequently can be scaled to other cities for the integration of the population in urban development. Only like this we can create effective and noticeable change.
As an innovative and neighbourhood-promoting project, we have applied for the grant “Soziale Innovation” by the city of Vienna. Lets recreate urban greening together!
In the context of this project some important questions appear, that will be revised in the course of the congress:
- What form of organization is ideal for creating a number of neighborhood initiatives and at the same time connect them to the strategic goals of the city of Vienna?
- What special legal, technical and social support will the neighborhood initiatives need? What special requirements are there, specifically in the initial phase?
- What type of business model (e.g. Community Supported Agriculture, Crowd initiatives, etc.) exist for specific greening initiatives?
- How can such a project be rescaled for a whole city? How can it be implemented in different cities?
- How can we most effectively achieve comprehensive greening with the help of a strong civic engagement?
We are looking for:
For the project green neighbourhood garage, we are searching for a maximum of 20 participants with a background in the following areas:
- Landscape architecture
- Spatial Planning
- Real estate development
- NGOs and institutions for neighborhood initiatives
- Social work and sociology
- Application period for project initiatives: 01.12.2019 – 06.03.2020
- Early Bird tickets: 01.01.2020 – 31.01.2020
- Termination of review procedures for project initiatives: 15.03.2020
- Regular ticket sale: 01.02.2020 – 10.04.2020
- Congress: 16–17.04.2020
How you can participate:
Simply apply and upload:
Your application should contain your personal CV and a letter of motivation of max. 2.000 characters. You will receive an answer within two weeks.
Submitting a project idea:
Do you have a project idea that you want to realize? Does your idea need the support and expertise of an international community?
Please add to your submission:
- Project description of max. 2.000 characters plus a description of your initial thesis and questions
- Requested number and background of those you want to work on your project
- A visual presentation (renderings, pictures, etc.) of your project
- New inputs for your initiative
- Greater international attention
- Due to the co-creative cooperations, development of completely unthought of technical and contentual solutions, financing model and cooperations
- Fantastic networking possibility
- Great european community with a broad set of qualifications to support your project